Fall Quarter 2019
Application Due Date: August 1, 2019
Title: Communications Intern - unpaid
Department/Location: Communications Department, SAM Downtown
Staff Mentor: Communications Coordinator
Learning Objectives: The intern will become exposed to a wide range of communication disciplines, including marketing, public relations, advertising, print and digital graphic design, social media, and communications project management. The intern will also be exposed to the administrative functions of the Communications Department. The intern will work with staff to maximize the visibility of selected exhibitions and programs for SAM.
• Compile press kits and materials for media
• Draft press releases and other copy for exhibitions, programs, and events
• Assist with preparation for press previews / staff press events
• Research community partners / organizations for special exhibitions or installations
Marketing / Advertising:
• Research media channels for reaching niche audiences for exhibition marketing campaigns
• Participate in weekly media planning meetings
• Contact media representatives for details regarding rates and specifications for paid advertising.
Project Management / Graphic Design
• Work with graphic design staff on the design, review, and production of selected communication deliverables such as event programs, advertisements, and signage.
• Gain familiarity with Asana, the Communications Department project management platform.
• Assist with / attend a video production session (filming) or a photography session
• Transcribe videos to create subtitled content for the website
• Develop content for social media channels
• Write Google Grant search advertising ads
• Monitor (and respond to) comments on Yelp and Google about SAM from visitors
Administrative / Museum-wide
• Assist with budget tracking; input invoices into budget documents
• Provide administrative support to the Communications Coordinator
• Attend general museum meetings to gain insight into other museum departments and their work
• Expected time commitment: 15-20 hours/week
• Experience working in a professional, office setting.
• Prior public relations, marketing, graphic design, and writing experience a plus.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work with staff and volunteers in a professional manner on a variety of tasks.
• Ability to communicate effectively to staff, volunteers and public.
• Basic filing, typing and computer skills.
• Ability to ask for help and accept supervision and evaluation of your work.
• Abide by the Standards for Museum Volunteers/Interns as outlined in the Volunteer/Intern Packet.
• Working towards completion of a BA or MA in Marketing, Communications, Digital Media, or other related field.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications due: August 1, 2019
Each application should include:
• Application form
• Cover letter
• Two letters of recommendation (may be submitted separately by the writer to firstname.lastname@example.org)